From Over the Hill

Blessed by a compassionate God with, a loving and supportive wife, four believing grown sons, three great daughters-in-law, and two precious grandsons so far.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Powell, Wyoming, United States

I am thankful God has let me live long enough to learn that relationships are the most important part of life. Now I am trying to live that way. I am not always sucessful but I am improving.

Friday, January 02, 2009

How do we know, what we know -part 3

I was one of those people that accepted whatever I was taught by those in authority. I was never rebellious and hardly ever got into trouble, I was a very boring kid. When it came to what I should believe about God, I accepted without question what my religious tribe taught. I was told we were right and we could prove it. A lot of what I was taught was right, but not all of it.

How does this fit in with our topic? Last time I mentioned a group of scholars for which I have very little respect. Well, there is another group that has slipped down the ladder of respect. It consists of some of the teachers from my younger years. They were the scholars who were supposed to have studied the original, the primary sources with unbiased minds, therefore their interpretations would be right, and they were qualified to help the rest of us understand God's truth, at least that was what I was told. Another companion belief was that everyone would understand the Bible alike if they unbiased. If you disagreed with the accepted belief then you were being intellectually dishonest.

I now realize it is impossible to be unbiased no matter how sincere, and how much you try, consequently people are never going to totally understand the Bible alike. This claim to totally understand God and know the correct pattern is one of the quickest ways to lose my respect.

To me this brings us back to our core values and then the rest is applied in a way that fits the core values into our situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home