From Over the Hill

Blessed by a compassionate God with, a loving and supportive wife, four believing grown sons, three great daughters-in-law, and two precious grandsons so far.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Powell, Wyoming, United States

I am thankful God has let me live long enough to learn that relationships are the most important part of life. Now I am trying to live that way. I am not always sucessful but I am improving.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Core Values (amended post)


This an amended version of a post I didn't like and deleted.


I have used the term Core Values several times in this series, so what does it mean. I have a friend who says, “It stands for something that I would die for.” He takes his Core Values very seriously. I guess to me, it means the foundation of what I believe, everything is molded by these beliefs. Having Core Values can also mean that I have some beliefs that I like and abide by, but they fit more into the realm of opinion.
This idea of Core Values and non-core values is relatively new to me, as in the last few years. Before, I was taught you either held all your religious beliefs equally or you in essence didn’t believe in the Bible. The goal was to be right in everything – plan of salvation, acts of worship, organization of the church, etc. Everything I did had to be based on the Bible not my opinion. If you couldn’t find “book, chapter, and verse” for a belief or action then don’t do it. Opinions were equal to doubtful and you never did anything that might be doubtful. Doubtful was equal to slippery slope and we all knew where that would lead. I’m glad I am no longer there.

I have come to realize that I can’t understand everything about God. I can’t explain why there is evil, or why bad things happen to good people and good things to bad people. I’m not always sure what God wants me to do. I no longer have to be right about everything because I don’t know everything. Now this doesn’t leave me in a total state of confusion though, because there are concepts and facts that I do know. It is from these that I get my Core Values. I haven’t made a list of them because in my opinion that would put me right back in the situation of “having to the right set of values.” To give an example though, the verses from 1 John 4:7-12 express my Core Values as well as anything right now.

7Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son[
b] into the world that we might live through him. 10This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for[c] our sins. 11Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

Ever think about your Core Values?

Seeking Shalom (seeking the way things are supposed to be)

2 Comments:

Blogger KMiV said...

Thanks John,
Agape is driven by our 3 core values. I have found that when you have a few values to focus on you don't get distracted.

Core Values help us ID who we are, what we are to be about, and what we can let go of. It is easy to strip away unimportant things when you know what the focus is about.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Hydroponics said...

I really love to read some articles that have great positive impacts on its reader and benefit by reading such article especially concerning Gold and the stock market. I admire these writers in sharing their views and or opinions that can enlighten the mind of the readers. Great Job and continue inspiring readers.

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home