From Over the Hill

Blessed by a compassionate God with, a loving and supportive wife, four believing grown sons, three great daughters-in-law, and two precious grandsons so far.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Powell, Wyoming, United States

I am thankful God has let me live long enough to learn that relationships are the most important part of life. Now I am trying to live that way. I am not always sucessful but I am improving.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Strings attached

Good news this week. We had our first small group meeting for twenty-somethings and 5 guys showed up, of which only one regularly attends on Sunday. Gerry, our preacher, and I are leading it. We need your prayers as well as any suggesting as we are just a couple of old guys trying to reach this younger generation. God is definitely going to have to be in charge, if anything comes of this. A couple of young women were going to come but their children prevented it, hopefully they can come next week.
Does the following quote sound a little wrong?
"If Washington gives short shrift to a good Samaritan state like Texas, it will send chills down the spine of any governor asked to be a good neighbor in the future," Texas Governor Perry said.

Ever get caught up in this kind of thinking? Since when does Jesus say that we will get reimbursed for helping others in trouble? Too often the church has strings attached to the help it provides. If we help people they ought to come to church, right? I think we help people because we are disciples of Jesus.

1 Comments:

Blogger KMiV said...

Yes! You are right. Jesus tells us to invite those who cannot pay us back to the dinner table. Last night Nathan and I went to start a contact with a Russian family for ESL. They, as is typical of Eastern European people, fed us dinner. We were humbled by their generosity. So often other cultures give without expecting anything in return.
I know they reflect Jesus more than I do.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home