From Over the Hill

Blessed by a compassionate God with, a loving and supportive wife, four believing grown sons, three great daughters-in-law, and two precious grandsons so far.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Powell, Wyoming, United States

I am thankful God has let me live long enough to learn that relationships are the most important part of life. Now I am trying to live that way. I am not always sucessful but I am improving.

Friday, February 10, 2006


I have been reading a very interesting book, "Embracing Grace - A Gospel for All of Us" by Scot Mcknight. I thought I would review it as I read it, so others could decide if they would like to read it, assuming I am a good book reviewer. The verdict is still out on that case. Scot begins by asking for your definition of the gospel. It is amazing how many different definitions there are concerning a concept so basic to Christianity. His definition is, "The gospel is the work of God to restore humans to union with God and communion with others, in the context of a community, for the good of others and the world." This appears to be broader than the "death, burial, and resurrection" I was taught, but when I examine the ramifications of DBR I don't think it is so different. He calls his definition the gospel of embracing grace, a gospel for all of us. Embracing grace is a flow of grace that can be described as-
God embraces you and me and
God embraces others and
God embraces the whole created order.
Then:
You and I embrace God back and
We embrace others and
We embrace the entire created order.
That's the introduction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home