From Over the Hill

Blessed by a compassionate God with, a loving and supportive wife, four believing grown sons, three great daughters-in-law, and two precious grandsons so far.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Powell, Wyoming, United States

I am thankful God has let me live long enough to learn that relationships are the most important part of life. Now I am trying to live that way. I am not always sucessful but I am improving.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Help for Domestic Abuse

I just finished Ron's book, Setting the Captives Free and it is a excellent book. This is my first serious investigation into domestic abuse and Ron's book was a well documented introduction for me, but it is more than an introductory book. He gives good definitions of the participants such as abuser, victim, victimization, and etc. His explanations of why the faith community has not been a leader in the solutions to this problem should provide a much needed wakeup call to churches, as well as a well deserved slap-in-the-face. To our benefit he does spend more time on what the faith community can do to help in the situations than just show our failures.

His discussion of the concept of a covenant is worth the price of the book, because the word covenant is not a familiar concept to most people. His detailed discussion of God's covenant with Israel provides for a good explanantion of the marriage covenant.

If you have any type of leadership position in the faith community and are concerned with married people, you need this book.

1 Comments:

Blogger KMiV said...

Thanks John,
I really appreciate all you have to say. If you email me I can let you know when we have some of our free clergy trainings. We have 3 scheduled for this Winter/Spring.

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home