From Over the Hill

Blessed by a compassionate God with, a loving and supportive wife, four believing grown sons, three great daughters-in-law, and two precious grandsons so far.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Powell, Wyoming, United States

I am thankful God has let me live long enough to learn that relationships are the most important part of life. Now I am trying to live that way. I am not always sucessful but I am improving.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Do you have time to grieve?

Grieving - is it an emotion? I called it such in a comment to Jason's blog. Maybe it is more than a feeling that comes as a result of a loss. I am usually sad or upset when I lose something or things don't go my way, but I usually don't grieve. To me grieving is much deeper than just being sad, consequently it must be the seriousness of the loss that would cause grieving.

Is it just a loss that would cause me to grieve? What about an action or lack of action as the case may be? Paul says in his letter to the Ephesians that certain actions of ours can grieve the Holy Spirit. Wow, if an action of mine can grieve God then wouldn't it follow that upon reflection it should grieve me too. I don't know that I have actually grieved over very many of my sins. Maybe if I took them more seriously, I would actually grieve over them and realize how terrible they really were. I am afraid, saying, "I'm sorry," has become meaningless too often. We make our little kids say, "I'm sorry" when doing something wrong. But do they mean it? Many times they don't, but we make them say it anyhow. When we sin, is this how we are? A quick "I'm sorry" and I am moving on. It's a sad commentary but I think our society doesn't leave time to grieve. Our multi-tasking lifestyle is just too fast paced for reflection. When is there time to grieve?

1 Comments:

Blogger KMiV said...

Never thought of grieving that way. I think "I'm sorry" is an act of empathy that we display to someone we hurt. I think it is important and I find that when people don't apologize, it seems to leave us empty. Even if someone doesn't truly mean it, it can make us feel better.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home