From Over the Hill

Blessed by a compassionate God with, a loving and supportive wife, four believing grown sons, three great daughters-in-law, and two precious grandsons so far.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Powell, Wyoming, United States

I am thankful God has let me live long enough to learn that relationships are the most important part of life. Now I am trying to live that way. I am not always sucessful but I am improving.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Welcome back to the jungle

It is always nice to get home from a trip, there's your own bed, a normal schedule, your stuff where you want it, and there is the jungle. The grass wasn't too tall because we weren't gone that long, but the little vegetables garden and the flower beds, I should call them the weed patch. We did have someone come and water our garden when she fed our dog, but without tending the weeds grew as fast or faster than our vegetables. I wish now that I had taken a picture of it before I started weeding it again. It would have made a great before and after series. We don't have a big garden maybe 20x40. Carol is past the canning stage. She did that while we were raising our boys. Now we just grow enough to eat while it is in season. We had fresh baby spinach leaves in a salad last night, hmmmmm good!!

Being the retired preacher, I have to mention at least one spiritual application, so here goes. Our garden had all it needed to grow - sun, dirt, and water - and it grew, but so did all the weeds. What it missed was someone to tend it, someone to take care of it, someone to love it. I think too often we only provide the nutrients for our family, but without the close caring that is needed. We provide clothes, shelter, food, activities lead by others, but without the personal care weeds in the form of trouble will spring up. The same is true in our community of faith. We need each other, we need more than lessons and teachings. This is a hard part for me because I love to teach. It is easy (for me) to teach lessons, but takes effort and time to be a friend.

Lord help me to realize what is truly important and lasting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home