From Over the Hill

Blessed by a compassionate God with, a loving and supportive wife, four believing grown sons, three great daughters-in-law, and two precious grandsons so far.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Powell, Wyoming, United States

I am thankful God has let me live long enough to learn that relationships are the most important part of life. Now I am trying to live that way. I am not always sucessful but I am improving.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

From Simple to Complicated to Simple again


Well, I turned the ripe old age of 63 last week. It is amazing the change from this picture to my current one. Yes I really was some one's little kid once. Looking at this picture brings back memories of a simpler (?) lifestyle. If you listen to many older people (whatever age that means?) they always seem to get around to talking about how much simpler life was when they were young. That may be or may not be true, but one aspect of it that I believe is true is that choices appeared simpler. A child doesn't realize all the ramification of her choices, so things are much more black or white.
Carol says I usually make a profound spiritual application in my posts. I will take that as a complement, so here goes. Besides being a little kid who wore cowboy boots I remember being God's little kid, and I probably still am in his sight. Everything seemed so simple and straight forward as a little kid. There were the good guys, those who did the right things, and the bad guys, those who didn't. If you followed the 5-step plan you could earn a place in heaven, and on and on.

Now because I am older, the logical next comment would be that I now believe life is more complicated and a relationship with God more difficult, but that is not true. The more I study and live, the more simple I find obeying God to be. Not easier but simpler. The simple aspect is just to follow Jesus. I have spent too much time trying to understand and teach the rules and regulations people make up trying to explain what God wants. It is so simple - Love God with all your mind, soul, heart and strength and love one another as He loves us. Simple but not always easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home