From Over the Hill

Blessed by a compassionate God with, a loving and supportive wife, four believing grown sons, three great daughters-in-law, and two precious grandsons so far.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Powell, Wyoming, United States

I am thankful God has let me live long enough to learn that relationships are the most important part of life. Now I am trying to live that way. I am not always sucessful but I am improving.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Finding Your True Identity

I am teaching a class that is studying the sermon on the mount and how Jesus then lived out the ideas he taught. I have never been in a class like this before so it is an adventure. We have just started so we will have to see how it goes. Last week we discussed Matt 5:13-16.
13"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

I was impressed with the statement that the disciples were salt and light and so are all disciples today, I believe. Its not that they were encouraged to be S&L but they were the S&L. The personal aspect of it, is what struck me. Another idea that impressed me is the ability of salt to bring out the real flavor of whatever it is on. It doesn't really change or add to the taste but brings out its true flavor. Light does the same. the true identity of an object isn't revealed until light shines on it. S&L brings out our true identity, which is, we are made in the image of God. Just as Jesus brings out our true identity, so we do the same for others we share the gospel with, by being salt and light in their lives. And this seems to be pointing to establishing a relationship.

The "R" word keeps coming up in my studies, and discussions. I am finding that it is a more important concept than I used to think, and that's good.

1 Comments:

Blogger KMiV said...

Johnny, Good point. I also think that this challeneges us to see our responsibility in the world. We have to shine and penetrate (preserve) the world since it is worth saving.

Ron

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home