From Over the Hill

Blessed by a compassionate God with, a loving and supportive wife, four believing grown sons, three great daughters-in-law, and two precious grandsons so far.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Powell, Wyoming, United States

I am thankful God has let me live long enough to learn that relationships are the most important part of life. Now I am trying to live that way. I am not always sucessful but I am improving.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Offense vs Defense

I came across a new interpretation (for me) on Matt 16:18. I had always used this verse to say that Satan would never defeat the church. I still believe that is true, and in fact God has already won the battle, satan didn't stand a chance. The use of the imagery of "gates of hades" is a defensive one not offensive as I have always thought. In a walled city gates are used to keep the enemy out and the inhabitants in. The "Gates of hades" do not attack, but defend and keep imprisoned the people satan has captured. This verse in actuality says the church has the power to overcome the gates and release all those held captive by satan, instead of just being able to defend itself against satan. If the church will go on the offensive it will be able to break down the gates of hades and release the prisoners. Why, because Jesus is the Christ, the son of the living God, and Jesus defeated satan at the cross and with his resurrection.

I love a good offense and God is the master-mind of the greatest one.

1 Comments:

Blogger KMiV said...

Amen,

How often have we heard that we are cowering in a fortress from Satan when we are actually the ones going to battle and Satan is hiding.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home