From Over the Hill

Blessed by a compassionate God with, a loving and supportive wife, four believing grown sons, three great daughters-in-law, and two precious grandsons so far.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Powell, Wyoming, United States

I am thankful God has let me live long enough to learn that relationships are the most important part of life. Now I am trying to live that way. I am not always sucessful but I am improving.

Friday, August 17, 2007

The "Good Ole Days"


Our garden is really producing now. We have tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, yellow squash to eat fresh. We had just been picking enough of the green beans for a meal,(a mess as my granny would say) but now the plants are producing many more than we can eat, so I reverted back a few years and froze a few pints. Boy, did that bring back memories. I remember spending the summers with my grandparents on my mom's side. They were farmers, so granny always had a garden. One of the memories I have is of sitting on the porch and watching her snapping and stringing green beans. That was back in the days before stringless green beans. She even let me do some and I was young enough that I thought of it as an priviledge, not work. I thought it was also fun to hull peas.



When our boys were young, Carol raised a garden and canned most of the vegetables we ate. I was wondering if our boys ever remember snapping green beans.? Granny always canned her vegetables but tonight I blanched mine and froze them because it is so much easier.


It is interesting my grandparents raised a garden, but my parents didn't. Carol's parents raised a garden when she was a little kid, but then both our moms got jobs and didn't have the time. We quit raising a big garden when the boys left home and now only have a small one basically for salads and a few vegetables.

Well that is enough of a trip down memory lane for tonight. Good Eating!

2 Comments:

Blogger KMiV said...

Boy those look good. We have tried to grow tomatoes and beans here in Oregon for years. We have a few green beans and maybe, some tomatoes. We sure miss Missouri because of this.

I watched Caleb help Lori snap beans and it brought back memories.

You can't get your memories from the grocery store--can you!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Jason Hill said...

How could we forget snapping beans?

What you seem to have forgotten was the size of the garden you used to have. It took hours to plant, weeks to weed and days to pick, snap, and can. I do remember some life shaping theology lessons out in our garden, however, mostly in the form of dissapointment for Adam getting kicked out of the first garden and leaving us with weeds to pull.

For the record, I'd do it all over again. And I could sure go for some of your fresh beans.

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home